The cold nights are on the way! Try this spicy veggie dish to warm the tummy:
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 2 tbsp no salt added tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 ½ tbsp agave nectar
- 2 ½ tsp Asian fish sauce
- ½ tsp red Chile flakes
- 1 tbsp refined oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz extra firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ small red onion, cut into ¼ inch slices
- ½ cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 4 green onions, including half of green parts, cut into 2 inch pieces, halved lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups bean sprouts
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint, cilantro or a combination
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 4 to 8 lime wedges
- Prepare noodles for stir-frying according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk tomato paste and tamarind paste with 1-cup hot water. Stir in agave, fish sauce and chili flakes. Set aside.
- In a large wok or skillet over medium high heat, combine oil and garlic and stir-fry just until garlic begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tofu and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add red onion and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add cabbage and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add noodles and sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender, about 3 minutes. Add green onions, bean sprouts and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are well combined and heated through.
- Serve pad Thai topped with tomatoes, mint, peanuts and lime wedges.